FIELDS OF SPECIALIZATION:
Palynology, Hydrocarbon Source Rock Evaluation and Coal Petrology.
CURRENT POSITION: Assistant Professor
(Department of Geology, Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra )
• Ph.D. (Geology)
from Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra in the year 2010.
• M.Sc. (Applied Geology) from Kurukshetra University,
Kurukshetra in the year 2001.
• B.Sc. (Botany, Zoology & Chemistry) from H.P. University, Shimla
in the year1999.
• 10 days Geological Field Training given to the M.Tech Applied Geology
students dealing with the Structural Mapping and Geological study in Nahan and surrounding areas of H.P. (As a teacher
• Extensive field work in Lignite-bearing areas of Rajasthan and Gujarat, India. (During Research
• Extensive field work in Siwalik & Pre-Siwalik Tertiary Rocks of Yamunanagar and Sirmaur
Districts, Northwestern Himalaya, India. (During Ph.D.).
• 15 days Mining and Environmental Geology field training
in open cast mine of Cement Corporation of India Ltd. and in underground mine of Pyrite, Phosphates and Chemicals Ltd. (PPCL)
in Distt. Sirmaur (Himachal Pradesh) and Distt. Dehra Dun (Uttarakhand) respectively (During M.Sc. 2nd Year).
days Geological Field Training dealing with the Structural Mapping and Geological study of the area around Bhikampura, Teh.
Thanaghazi, Distt. Alwar, Rajasthan, India (During M.Sc. 1st Year)
COURSE STUDIED IN M.Sc. (Applied Geology):
& Chemistry of the Earth, Geo-exploration, Crystallography & Mineralogy, Structural Geology & Geomorphology, Computing
Techniques in Geoscience, Mega & Micropalaeontology, Geohydrology, Stratigraphy & Indian Geology, Petrology, Engineering
Geology & Mining Geology, Environment Geosciences, Geochemistry & Isotope Geology, Remote Sensing, Economic Geology
& Mineral Economics.
• Research Associate (3.4.2007-2.4.2010): Worked
on “Organic matter characterization of Lignite bearing Successions of Western India” Under the Institute project
on “Organic Petrology in relevance to Coal Bed Methane and Source Rock evaluation”, in Birbal Sahini Institute
of Palaeobotany, Lucknow, India.
• Research Scholar (22.10.2002-22.10.2005): Worked as a Birbal Sahni Research
Scholar in Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra leading to Ph.D. on “Palynology and Stratigraphy of the Siwalik &
Pre-Siwalik Tertiary Rocks of Yamunanagar and Sirmaur Districts, Northwestern Himalaya, India”
• Taught Geology classes of M.Sc. & B.Sc. in Kurukshetra University, Haryana (July, 2004-March, 2007),
M.Sc. & M.Tech (Applied Geology) from 21.9.2010 onwards.
• Awarded Birbal Sahni Research Associateship
in 2007 by Birbal Sahini Institute of Palaeobotany Lucknow, India to work at Birbal Sahni Institute.
Birbal Sahni Research Scholarship in 2002 by Birbal Sahini Institute of Palaeobotany Lucknow, India to Pursue Ph.D. at Kurukshetra
University, Haryana, India.
Windows, MS Office, Corel Draw, Adobe Photoshop, Fortran 77, Sigma Plot
and keen to learn other computer applications.
SPECIAL TRAININGS/INSTRUMENTS HANDLING/DAPUTATION:
in Seminar-Cum-Training Programme on Electron Microscopy (Jan. 29-31, 2004) organised by the Department. of Zoology, Kurukshetra
University, Kurukshetra & SAIF, Panjab University, Chandigarh.
• Working knowledge on Atomic Absorption
• Working knowledge on Microscope Photometry System (PMT III) and Software MSP 200 for the
reflectance measurements of Coal and lignite in monochromatic light on Leica DM4500P microscope.
experience on Petroglite software (2.35version) for quantitative estimation of Macerals/Minerals.
from Birbal Sahni Institute of Palaeobotany to attend 8th International Oil & Gas Conference and Exhibition to participate
in Petrotech-2009 (Industry-academia interface) held on 13-14 January, 2009 in India Habitat Centre, New Delhi.
Publications: (Click on following link to see my selected
MY SIGNIFICANT PUBLICATIONS
Om Prakash thakur
Contact Number: +91 8901029221